Monday, November 17, 2008

Japan - Day 1 - Arrival

I set my alarm for 6:00a, thinking I can finish packing up the little things, and giving myself time for a relaxing breakfast before I head out. Instead, I wake up at 8. I decided not to doublecheck my luggage. Instead, I showered, ate, and hurried my ass out of the house. I arrive at the airport at 9:30, early enough for a 11:30 flight. If only I knew the plane would be delayed for 30 minutes, I woulda taken my time.

So on the plane, I had an aisle seat in the middle row, on the right. Not a bad seat, since it was relatively close to the bathroom, but not close enough where I have to smell people's shit. The first meal served was great. We had a choice between fried chicken with rice, or pork cutlets and mash potatoes. I went with the pork, and it was relatively good, except for the need to gnaw on that shit. Then, the flight attendants (which were ALL hot!, except for the older ones), started handing out the mini haagen daaz ice creams. It was good, and bad. 10 hours on a plane, after eating dairy. I felt sorry for the people around me. I held in my gas and released it in the bathroom. At least I was kind enough to do that. The second meal came later, and man, it sucked! It was cheese lasagna!! What is with all dairy? I ate a little bit, but I hate cheese lasagna. They need to print a menu with what is available before you board the plane.

So I land at Narita, get my bags, and hop on the Narita Express. I get off at my stop in Tokyo, and switch to the Yamanote Line. Having to lug a 16kg suitcase down a giant flight or stairs only to lug it up another giant flight of stairs is not fun. And then, the train was pretty packed, so I had to kinda swing my suitcase around to make room. Sorry train people. I somehow got pushed to the middle of the train and needed to get off. Having a suitcase on a packed train is not fun. I then had to switch from the train to the subway. I think I walked a mile, and then down 1,000 steps on the stairs. Never switch to the Tsukaba Express from Akihabara. So, I get off at Asakusa, and the hotel said that it is about a 4 min walk from the station. So I started walking. Too bad I was walking in the wrong direction! I ended up walking at least 30 mins in the wrong direction before I realized it. And then I had to walk 30 minutes back. All this, WITH my suitcase!

After I get to my hotel, I quickly put my stuff away and go look for food. Lucky for me, there was a festival going on across the street. I decided to walk and take some pictures. I just kept walking, thinking the stalls would end. Until I realized I walked 6 blocks, and it was still going. I got my food, went back and ate it. And then I passed out afterwards.

That concludes day 1.

1 comment:

D. Mummy said...

Ice cream, poor people already, then the lasagna, more diary... tsk tsk tsk.

Then lugging your luggage for 30 mins the wrong way, you didn't go to Japan to lose more weight, you better be stuffing yourself in Asia.